Fibre optic installation.

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Fibre optic installation.

Postby gerryh » Tue May 07, 2024 12:12 pm

I believe that in the campo fibre optic lines are installed above ground, often using, existing wooden telephone line posts.
My local village has recently had fibre optic installed.
I can see the posts about 250 metres away from my house.
Heard that a group of houses downhill from me might be getting fibre optic, if so probably only about 100 metres away.
What do you think are my chances of getting a line to my house?
Additional posts would have to be installed, who pays for them?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fibre optic installation.

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Many moons ago when we had our first house built there was a phone line coming up the hill which stopped a hundred or so metres away. We had telefonica out but they said we'd have to pay for the line and another pole. I can't remember how much they quoted but I do remember it was a lot and too much for us. We eventually got a radio phone which worked fine (long before the days of internet in the campo and mobile phone coverage most places). So I guess you would have to pay if you wanted installation to your house.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue May 07, 2024 2:44 pm

gerryh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:12 pm I believe that in the campo fibre optic lines are installed above ground, often using, existing wooden telephone line posts.
My local village has recently had fibre optic installed.
I can see the posts about 250 metres away from my house.
Heard that a group of houses downhill from me might be getting fibre optic, if so probably only about 100 metres away.
What do you think are my chances of getting a line to my house?
Additional posts would have to be installed, who pays for them?
Cheers
Gerry
Frustrating innit.. There is 1gb fibre 750 meters up the track from our place. Unlikely, unless sufficient bribe is offered to get it to us. Then i think do i really need 1gb. Our current 40mg wimax streams 4ktv adequately and the actual installation is neat and minimal due to the fact that cables were installed before we had an extension built. New fibre would be real messy to get into our living room where the router currently resides. Also I'm sure wimax is capable of somewhat higher speeds.

Still 1gb, in the campo.....,. Major bragging rights...
Regards

Bob

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue May 07, 2024 6:29 pm

We have a pole right outside, and would be land-line capable except 'no more numbers' However a few months ago the campo network was wired for 600mg. Strangely we have not had the expected mither from the provider, it might as well not be there.

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri May 10, 2024 9:36 am

Nice to be back!

Thanks to the moderators and admin for sorting for sorting out the ‘log-in’ problem.👍😀

Our village Fuentes de Cesna had fibre optic installed about two years ago. We are on the edge of village literally about 100m from the last house that was included in the installation. At the time we asked one of the engineers if we could be included but he said ‘no’ as we weren’t officially part of the village boundary. He also said that any properties beyond 500m Fibre Optic Hub are also excluded. Sods law the hub is at the opposite end of the village.☹️

Cheers Terry

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri May 10, 2024 2:54 pm

Hello Terry, welcome back.

Have you considered Hispasat so long as your property isnt served by copper. Their standard offering is now 200 meg down , free instal and 35 euros a month. Huge ping makes it no good for gam8ng. Havent tried Skype but streams TV. Router is dns programmable too. And gives a great wifi signal.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri May 10, 2024 5:24 pm

Telboy, usually a limitation of distance from the hub implies that the service is not "full fibre" but a copper connection to a fibre hub which does not give full 1gb/s speeds. That requires a direct fibre connection to the house.

Gerry, We are in the Campo about 2km from the nearest village and our connection is via the existing poles which carry the old copper phone wires. As the poles are on our property, it wasn't a problem. I would expect high charges to add additional poles. If what you now have meets your needs I guess you will probably stick with it.

casita-bonita, when you have a 1gb fibre connection, you don't really have to worry too much about the router location as you will get good WiFi almost anywhere in the house. It's only a problem if you need a wired Internet connection for a particular device, but even then powerline extenders or wireless access points will do the trick.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri May 10, 2024 8:10 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:24 pm Telboy, usually a limitation of distance from the hub implies that the service is not "full fibre" but a copper connection to a fibre hub which does not give full 1gb/s speeds. That requires a direct fibre connection to the house.

Gerry, We are in the Campo about 2km from the nearest village and our connection is via the existing poles which carry the old copper phone wires. As the poles are on our property, it wasn't a problem. I would expect high charges to add additional poles. If what you now have meets your needs I guess you will probably stick with it.

casita-bonita, when you have a 1gb fibre connection, you don't really have to worry too much about the router location as you will get good WiFi almost anywhere in the house. It's only a problem if you need a wired Internet connection for a particular device, but even then powerline extenders or wireless access points will do the trick.

Sid
Hi Sid.. Pie in the sky for now. Don't see why a 1gb fibre connection coming into the house would improve my WIFI coverage though. That of itself isn't an issue as i have a few extenders scattered around the house that provide (almost) complete coverage. Couple of tricky locations outside that I can't get connection, eg in my deposito, and the pool pump.

I do still have a couple of devices that need wired connection to the router. One, the
'landline' phone isn't a major problem. The other, my home cinema amp would require a nearby extender that had an RJ45 connector. Again not an insurmountable problem I guess.

So I could cope with moving my router upstairs to a bedroom. But right now it doesnt look like it's an issue that I'm going to have to contend with...
Regards

Bob